Jouke van Dijk (1956) is Professor of Regional Labour Market Analysis and Chair of the Department of Economic Geography at the Faculty of Spatial Sciences of the University of Groningen. He also is Chair of the Board of the Waddenacademie, an institute that sets the agenda and coordinates research activities in the field of Ecology, Geology, Economics and Social Sciences in the UNESCO World Heritage Wadden Sea Region.
Van Dijk graduated in 1981 in Regional Science at the Faculty of Economics of the University of Groningen. In 1986 he obtained his doctoral degree on the thesis 'Migration and the Labour Market'. From 1981 till 1991 he held several positions at the Department of Spatial Economics of the Faculty of Economics. Since 1991 he is affiliated to the Department of Economic Geography of the Faculty of Spatial Science of the University of Groningen, first as Associate Professor and since 2000 as Full Professor of Regional Labour Market Analysis. From 2002 till 2005 he was appointed as vice-dean of the faculty and since 2009 he is chair of the Department of Economic Geography.
His research has a strong focus on labour market issues like employment, unemployment, the dynamics of regional labour markets and migration. Other topics of interest are regional disparities, regional development and growth, regional and labour market policy, policy evaluation, sectorial and functional changes in employment and production, innovation potential and performance, education and schooling, volunteer work, and extends to firm demography issues like locational behaviour of firms and entrepreneurship and environmental and coastal zone management. The results of his work can be found in a broad variety of national and international journals and books (see list of publications). He supervised 20 PhD-students.
Jouke van Dijk is acting as advisor and consultant for the European Union, OECD, various ministries, provinces and municipalities, private firms and research institutes, the public employment service, unions and other organisations dealing with labour market issues and regional development.
Van Dijk editor, reviewer and evaluator for PhD-committees, research councils, publishers like NWO, European Science Foundation, United States National Science Foundation, de Research Council of Norway, Qatar National Research Fund and the Academy of Finland, among others as member and chair of evaluation committees for research. He is chair of the working group for the realisation of the Trilateral Research Agenda for the Wadden Sea Region and its World Heritage Site for the Trilateral Government Conference in 2018.
Jouke van Dijk serves several scientific journals as Editor, Member of the Editorial Board and scientific organisations:
• Editor of Springer Regional Science Series Advances in Spatial Science, since 2012;
• Overseeing Editor Journal of Economic and Social Geography (Tijdschrift voor Economische en Sociale Geografie), since 2002;
• President European Regional Science Association, 2014-2018;
• Editor-in-Chief Papers in Regional Science, 2007-2012;
• European Editor Papers in Regional Science, 2005-2012;
• Member Editorial Board Social Research since 2017;
• Member Editorial Board REGION, since 2014;
• Member of the International Scientific Board of Investigaciones Regionales since 2014;
• Member Editorial Board Review of Regional Research (Jahrbuch für Regionalwissenschaft) since 2013;
• Member Editorial Board Papers in Regional Science, 2001-2004 and since 2013;
• Member Editorial Board Journal of Geographical Systems, since 2007;
• Member Editorial Board Romanian Journal of Regional Science, since 2007;
• Member Editorial Board Regional Science Policy & Practice, (2007-2015);
• Editor It Beaken (the scientific journal of the Fryske Akademy) (2000-2009);
• Member Editorial Board Environment & Planning B (1996-1998).
• Member of the Board of Directors of the Western Regional Science Association (WRSA), since 2015;
• Member of the Council of the Regional Science Association International (RSAI), since 2007.
• Appointed as Fellow of the Research Centre for Education and the Labour Market (ROA), a research institute of the Maastricht University School of Business and Economics (SBE) in 2012;
• Affiliated Researcher Netherlands Interdisciplinary Demographic Institute (NIDI) since 2016;
• Appointed as member of the Fryske Akademy for his contribution to science in Fryslân in 2010.